Alcoholism is a physical and psychological dependence characterized by memory impairment, behavioural problems, pathologies of internal organs resulting from the systematic use of alcohol.
Before you quit drinking on your own, you need to determine the reasons for the bad habit. The main factors include the following:
- Psychological factors. Alcoholism can be caused by difficulties in adapting to life circumstances, weak will, lack of self-confidence. Often the cause of problems is a tendency to depressive states and personal problems.
- Social factors. The negative impact of advertising, national traditions, family habits, lack of good work can push a person to abuse alcohol.
- Difficulty in work or personal life. In such a situation, a person tries to cope with stress with the help of alcohol.
- Physiological factors or hereditary tendency.
Biochemical processes can be the cause of problems. Not everyone is addicted to alcohol. It is more susceptible to people who have mental disorders or traumatic brain damage. Sometimes the problem is caused by a genetic predisposition.
Evidence that a person has developed alcohol dependence is the following alarming symptoms:
- A gradual increase in the number of holidays celebrated with the use of alcohol. If earlier, a person was waiting for his birthday or New Year, now he is specifically looking for a reason to drink alcohol.
- Changing your social circle. If earlier, a person chose friends based on common interests, then he is looking for drinking friends with the advent of alcohol addiction.
- Aggravation of negative characteristics. Alcoholics have problems communicating with colleagues, friends, relatives. Often such people become nervous, aggressive, and irritable. The mood improves only after drinking alcohol.
- Loss of control over the volume of alcohol. If earlier, it was easy for a person to stop, now there are difficulties with this.
- Health disorders. Excessive alcohol consumption leads to very sad consequences. A person has pain in the right side, sleep disturbances, problems with erection, hand tremors.
Popular myths about alcohol
To quit drinking at home, you need to acknowledge the addiction. However, many people ignore the presence of problems. There are several common myths about alcoholic beverages:
- The desire to drink alcohol is always justified by the presence of some kind of holiday. However, you can celebrate it without alcohol.
- Many people believe alcohol can help relieve shyness. However, this is just self-hypnosis. The psychological barrier can be removed only for a short period. This is followed by a stage of inappropriate behavior that can cause shame.
- Some people believe that drinking can help deal with stress or personal issues. This is also nothing more than a myth.
- Often, alcoholism begins with the daily consumption of 50 g of alcohol. However, today, doctors are questioning even the benefits of red wine. The daily ingestion of alcohol into the body provokes irreversible consequences for the brain and liver.
- Many alcoholics drink. They are helpless because they believe they cannot do anything about it. This is another common misconception.
In 89% of cases, they die from alcohol in their sleep! Moreover, in most cases, these are not some drunken alcoholics, but “moderately” drinking people who drink not only strong but also low-alcohol drinks.
How to stop drinking alcohol at home?
- Preparing to find an easy way to cope with addiction is nearly impossible. It is impossible to independently eliminate complex forms of alcoholism with the development of physiological pathologies and mental disorders.
- It is imperative to realize the need to combat addiction. If this is not done, all treatments will fail.
- Be patient and enlist the support of loved ones. The main task of others should be to maximize the protection of a person from situations that can cause breakdowns. If a person does not have willpower, it is necessary to constantly monitor his behaviour and monitor his social circle.
- Stop communicating with people who are alcohol dependent. It is not worth visiting drinking companies. It is important to learn to say “no” in such situations. In reality, it is not very difficult.
- Get plenty of rest. In such a situation, a person gets much less tired, and therefore he does not have an obsessive desire to drink.
- Do sport. Dealing with addiction requires finding another source of pleasure. The hormone of happiness is produced during exercise.
Find ways to deal with stress. Alcohol problems often occur in people who suffer from chronic fatigue and try to calm their nerves with alcohol. To cope with addiction, you need to find a source of pleasure – for this; you can be like massage, yoga, or boxing.